Friday, October 23, 2009

Family matters


My family is extremely close knit and loves to spend time together; especially in the kitchen. My mom enjoys forcing me into the kitchen so I can learn the many dishes her mom passed down to her.

That is what really inspired this blog. I have grown up hearing about the good old days of my great aunts and uncles who's parents moved to the U.S. from Syria. My mom's grandparents only spoke Syrian and would yell at all the grand kids. There are so many pictures of Cedee (Syrian for grandmother) sitting in her babushka cleaning grape leaves for dinner.

I wanted to share some of the many dishes I grew up eating. My favorite foods are grape leaves and kibbee. Now back to the kitchen for some 101 lessons with mom.

3 comments:

  1. love your family photo! it looks like your family enjoys spending time together, and it is necessary to like people you're working in the kitchen with. food is not half as good as when it's made with love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome start on the blog. I love what your doing. Now, can you teach me to speak arabic?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately I can't speak arabic. I just knew a few words from my mom.

    ReplyDelete