Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Family "Test"


The first meal that my Polish father ate at my Syrian grandparents home was meshe. This was his test to see if he was going to be a good addition to the family.

Meshe is the Syrian version of stuffed peppers. Only instead of being made of mostly ground meat, they are made of mostly white rice and small pieces of pork. They are then cooked in a tomato based sauce with carrots. We don't just stuff peppers, but zucchini, eggplants and large carrots. My mouth is watering just thinking about eating it.

Earlier this summer, my mom made a pot of meshe. My boyfriend and I have been together for four years now and he has yet to try meshe. So he was summoned to the dinner table for his "test." Needless to say, he passed with flying colors, just like my father did over 25 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment